gr7

gr7

Monday 14 January 2013

heads up jan 15 science & math mini experiments


Science 3.4 Mini Lab 2 pg.64-66 
Separating Environmental Mixture of Oil & Water
Purpose: 
In this experiment I will investigate different methods of removing oil from water.

Hypothesis:
If I use cotton balls to soak up the oil, then I think…
If I use a medicine dropper to suck up the oil, then I think…
If I use a straw to move the oil to one corner, then I think…
If I use drops of detergent to the oil, then I think…

Observations:
Treatment
Results
Separating using cotton balls

Separating using medicine dropper

Separating using straw

Separating using detergent


Analysis:
A & B text pg.66

Conclusion:
What did you learn about separating oil from water?
What environmental impact would an oil spill in the ocean have?
How accurate was your hypothesis?

I will bring in all the necessary materials for the above mini lab


6.2 integer experiment: adding positive and negative integers text pg.190-191

Toss #
Result
H or T
Point Value
H= +1
T= -1
Total Score
1



2



3



4



5



6



7



8



9



10



11



12



13



14



15



16



17



18



19



20





Paul’s first 5 tosses were (-1) + (-1) + 1 + 1 + 1 with a total score of 1 since the dotted line on his graph begins at (-1) and ends at +1 after 5 tosses.

My first 5 tosses were ________________________ with a total score of _____ since the dotted line on my graph begins at ____ and ends at ____ after 5 tosses.

After 20 tosses, Paul’s final score is ______.
After 20 tosses, my final score is _______.

Our results are similar because…
Our results are different because…

I noticed that when the value of the toss is +1 the total score…
I noticed that when the value of the toss was -1 the total score…

If I repeated the experiment with 50 coin tosses then I think the greatest possible total score would be…
If I repeated the experiment with 50 coin tosses then I think the least possible total score would be…